Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Try-it Tuesdays Spätzle

My mother made homemade Spätzle all the time. For me this a wonderful comfort food. The dough is very forgiving and can be flavored with almost anything. It also goes great with any sauce that you want to serve with it. I usually serve it with a wonderful goulash but you can toss it with butter if your in a hurry.

Spätzle

2 beaten eggs
1/4 c. milk
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients until smooth (batter should be thick). Spoon batter into a ricer and press batter into boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes or until the Spätzle rise to the surface. I usually quadruple this recipe. If you don't have a ricer you can shape the the dough in a number of ways. I learned to cut them by hand on a board as my mother did. This can be a bit tricky, however, so I suggest using a potato ricer.

3 comments:

Oliver and Keisha said...

Hey Miriam--I was just wondering, whatever happened to your scrapbook store? Do you still have it? I was curious.

sara said...

I love spatzle. I've tried to make it homemade, but couldn't get it to taste like the spatzle at siegfrieds. Thanks for the recipe.

Miriam said...

Keisha, I sold it off before we moved to Columbus.