Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday Gratitudes

I am Grateful for all the fun things that my kids find in our yard each day.
We found this huge Imperial Moth the other day while we were eating breakfast. It measured about 5 inches across. Huge!
My oldest son found a large toad living in one of the railroad ties right next to the house and seems to find little toads all over the yard.
We have several variety of birds: Robins, Cardinals, Hummingbirds, Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves, Finches, Wrens, and of course lots of Sparrows. We seem to find a new birds nest everyday.
We also have lots of very interesting insects.
We found a huge Wolf Spider carrying a large blue egg sack under it's belly. I think it was at least 3+ inches big. I wished I had taken a picture before it expired.
I found this picture that's pretty close to what we saw.
We usually find all the strange spiders and insects when we are cutting back the overgrowth and I never have my camera with me because it's such a dirty job.
I love our yard and am grateful to explore all the fun things it has to offer. It's wonderful to have a piece of earth that I can call mine. I love that my children can explore to their hearts content without mom having to watch over their shoulders.

3 comments:

Tacie Kerr said...

More power to you for finding a way to be grateful for a wolf spider like that -- and in your yard!

Miriam said...

I must say when we find things like this in the yard it's somewhat of a nervous excitement. Nervous because it scares the jeepers out of me and excitement because I've never seen anything like it.

D.Suth. said...

we would just be nervous-no excitement whatsoever. If we found something like that in our yard it might even cause us to move prematurely. HATE SPIDERS-that picture scares me.