Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Try-it Tuesdays

Fresh Strawberry PieI absolutely love this recipe. It's fresh, delicious, and so easy to make. And better yet, this is the perfect time to make this recipe because it's the strawberry season. Try-it I think you'll love it.
1 1/2 c crushed pecan shortbread cookies (Lorna Doone's are wonderful)
1/4 c blanched slivered almonds
1/3 c butter, softened
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small bowl, stir together crust ingredients. Press on bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely.
6 c fresh strawberries, hulled
1 c white sugar
3 tbls cornstarch
1/3 c water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp almond extract (optional but I love it)
Mash enough strawberries to equal 1 cup (Sometimes if I'm in a hurry, I'll quickly pulse them in a blender). In a 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in mashed berries and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a full boil (8 to 15 minutes). Boil 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in salt and almond extract; cool 10 minutes. Fill baked crust with remaining fresh strawberries; pour cooked mixture over fresh berries. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and walnuts if desired. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Cathryn said...

Looks delicious! Especially since a small little carton of strawberries here cost $5.69...yikes! We are in strawberry withdrawl.

Christie said...

Mmmm, yummy!
I will make this tomorrow night!